Innocent Spouse Relief Appeal

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Innocent Spouse Relief and other Tax Relief topics.

How can I appeal an innocent spouse relief?

Innocent Spouse Relief Appeal

If you were denied an innocent spouse relief election, you can appeal the decision. You must file for a petition with the Tax Court within 90 days after receiving the denial.

Even though you are requesting a review on your innocent spouse relief election, your spouse (“non-electing” - the one not applying for the innocent spouse relief) can intervene during the process.

The IRS is required by law to notify the non-electing spouse about your innocent spouse relief request. This is intended to allow the non-electing spouse with an opportunity to become involved in the determination.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Tax Relief Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Phyllis Serbes